Friday, June 9, 2017

SLU PT Student Experiences Collaborative Clinical Setting at SLU Physical Therapy Clinic

SLU PT Clinical Site Spotlight - Saint Louis University Physical Therapy Clinic
By:  Theresa Gilmore (DPT Class of 2017)

During my last semester of physical therapy school, I had the privilege of being assigned to my number one choice of clinical sites at the Saint Louis University Physical Therapy Clinic. It was one of my favorite experiences of physical therapy school. I was able to watch and work alongside excellent clinicians, professors, lab instructors, and physical therapy orthopedic residents whom I looked up to throughout my undergraduate coursework.
One of my favorite things about the clinic was being able to grow as a clinician in an environment where research and evidenced is used, and collaboration occurs constantly. Almost every time I was in the office there were discussions and brainstorming about new ideas for patient treatment and evaluations. I was made to feel welcome and part of the team as other clinicians valued my opinion and the things I had learned throughout my coursework and previous clinical affiliations. I loved seeing how every staff member at the clinic continues to strive to learn more and it inspires me to want to do the same. As a student, it was important for me to see clinicians dedicated to lifelong learning and using current evidence to shape evaluation and treatment of patients. It was amazing to see the quality of care and compassion that each and every patient received at this physical therapy clinic.
Throughout this 9 week clinical internship I was able to work with SLU’s Division I athletes. This site was different than other sites I had been to because of the sports emphasis. This experience was invaluable as I learned to analyze running for cross country/track and field rehabilitation and watch a softball player simulate swinging a bat to guide treatment. I loved the emphasis that movement analysis played in guiding treatment and returning athletes to play in a timely manner. It was also great to be able to interact with athletic trainers in order to provide care to athletes as a team. It was extremely rewarding to watch my patients improve and return to the sports that they love. I am very thankful for this opportunity and the friendships I formed with the clinicians and patients whom I worked with.

This is one of a series of posts by the Saint Louis University Program in Physical Therapy students featuring their clinical site and their clinical instructors. The number, quality, and diversity of clinical instruction are major assets for the SLU PT Program.

No comments:

Post a Comment